jueves, 21 de junio de 2007

Luxury, Colombia Syle

After a pleasant, yet uninspiring week in Ecuador (possibly because I did nothing but hang around the hostel in Quito), I have arrived in Colombia to visit my university friend Caroline. She moved to the capital Bogotá a few years ago and now lives in a very nice flat with her husband just outside the centre of the city.

One of the things I accepted long ago about travelling is an absence of luxury. I knew I would be sharing sloppy bathrooms with scuzzy hippies, sleeping in single beds and coping without things like hairdryers or sofas. So I was extremely delighted that as my first activity in Colombia, Caroline had planned a trip to get us both manicures and pedicures. As I sat on a comfy chair with women stationed at my hands and feet and another bringing me a cup of fresh herb tea, I was able to reflect on the fashion pages of Elle magazine and learn that metallics are this seasons hottest colours for handbags. At least in Colombia anyway. Who knew?

As it was a bank holiday weekend, we went to visit some friends of Caroline´s who have an amazing weekend house outside the city. Apparently, this is quite common but I don´t know if they all have jacuzzis, tennis courts, a private chapel and a team of staff who wait on you hand and (pedicured) foot. It felt a bit strange to have maids at my beck and call bringing me a variety of traditional Colombian drinks and snacks and clearing up after me, but as it wasn´t the done thing to refuse it, I decided to enjoy every minute!

Now, freshly pampered, I have arrived for the rest of the week in coffee country, in a little town called Salento where I hope to visit the Parque del Cafe. Apparently it´s like Disney Land, but for coffee. I hope to be a trembling, caffeine fuelled wreck by Friday, just in time to spend a few more days in luxury with Caroline and Felipe!

1 comentario:

Anónimo dijo...

RB Are you sure that mani pedi was taking place in South America? Looks very like the place I go to off Carnaby St - tee hee
EH
x